Now Hiring: Executive Director
North Carolina boasts the largest number of craft breweries in the American South, with more than 270 breweries and brewpubs. We are the State of Southern Beer. The North Carolina Craft Brewers Guild is a not-for-profit 501(c)6 tax-exempt organization comprised of brewers, vendors, retailers and craft beer enthusiasts focused on promoting North Carolina beer. The Guild has grown to be:
- the recognized voice for North Carolina craft beer in national and state policy matters;
- a reliable resource and reference for our membership base, the media, and the general public; and
- a leading advocate for North Carolina craft beer across all five tiers (supplier, brewer, wholesaler, retailer, and consumer).
We need a highly-motivated Executive Director as we pursue these goals in a changing landscape. We need a fearless, full-time leader in partnership with our Board of Directors to promote and advance the interests of North Carolina beer and its member breweries.
See the full job description below, or download a printable pdf version. To apply, please fill out the application form below, AND send your resume, cover letter, 3 references, and salary requirements to jobs (at) ncbeer.org by August 17, 2018.
The ED must have:
...extensive legal, legislative, and lobbying knowledge
- a good grasp of federal and state rules, regulations, anti-trust laws, and the alcohol permitting process.
- the ability to provide immediate guidance on these rules and regulations, with a dogged determination to quickly get the answer if you don’t already know it.
- experience partnering with legal counsel and contract lobbyists.
- the drive to coordinate and spearhead the Guild’s legislative agenda.
...top-notch marketing and communications skills
- excellent writing and editing skills, including blog posts, press releases, formal business letters and social media posts.
- ability to serve as the most prominent spokesperson for craft brewing in North Carolina; responsive and proactive in working with the media.
- creative and relentless in finding and executing new ideas in marketing NC craft beer.
- sophisticated understanding of various social media platforms and how to target key craft beer audiences through each.
...significant nonprofit/board experience
- a clear understanding of what it means to work in a nonprofit association and work with a board.
- an effective management style that supports a professional, dedicated team of staffers.
- networking skills, comfortable meeting with legislators and community leaders, brewers, business leaders and craft beer fans.
...proven fundraising abilities
- creative, enterprising fundraising abilities.
- the power of persuasion, convincing NC breweries to be active members of the Guild, to persuade local and state tourism departments to co-promote NC craft beer, to work with third-parties on mutually-beneficial promotional ideas, and to convince service providers to offer services for free or for a discount.
- the ability to say no, with a resolve to politely decline opportunities that do not benefit the Guild.
...creative and tactical event planning experience
- the initiative to create and execute events ranging from a few dozen attendees to several thousand.
- budgeting and finance skills, so that these events are profitable for the Guild.
- the ability to rally brewer participation and third-party support.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Serve as main point of contact for Guild for members, board, media, and the public;
- Supervision of all staff, contractors, volunteers and interns;
- Prepare weekly updates to the Board and hold weekly meetings with the President and VP of the Board;
- Represent the Guild at key meetings including the Brewers Association, NC Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission, state government agencies, and other relevant national and state associations and keep membership informed about relevant developments;
- Oversee all aspects of Guild events, including the NC Brewers Cup, NC Craft Brewers Conference, NC Beer Month, and more.
- Promote NC craft beer and the Guild’s mission and message in the press and social media;
- Track state legislative calendar, supervise contract lobbyist and required reports and represent the Guild in government and regulatory affairs;
- Oversee the Guild Political Action Committee, ensure timely submission of required reports;
- Work with the Treasurer to oversee Guild finances and reporting, including submitting expenses to Treasurer, submitting the I.R.S. Form 990 by November 15th; and preparing the annual financial report for the Board by August 30th;
- Coordinate Guild charitable initiatives;
- Manage the work of Guild committees;
- Manage the Guild’s Advisory Committee;
- Plan, organize, and attend quarterly regional meetings of the Board of Directors and support the orientation and productive engagement of Board members;
- Prepare for and lead the Guild’s Annual Membership Meeting and Officer Elections at that meeting.
IN RETURN, THE GUILD PLEDGES TO...
- Provide direction to the Guild Executive Director;
- Provide all requested organizational materials / requests to ED in a timely manner;
- Grant ED organizational signing authority for contracts and vendor payments equaling less than $1000 – if above this amount, President or Treasurer signature required;
- Have Guild-elected Treasurer oversee master Guild financials and financial oversight of ED
- Be responsible for any leadership-approved office expenses above currently established office set-up;
- Be responsible for all President- or leadership-approved ED travel, accommodation, meal, and transportation costs relating to Guild-deemed initiatives, subject to IRS guidelines;
- Support the ED’s professional development;
- Reimburse ED for any approved purchases ED makes on the Guild’s behalf; and
- Provide the ED with an annual review.
We offer a competitive salary, based on training and experience. The NC Craft Brewers Guild offers a flexible work environment, vacation, sick leave and other paid time off, as well as health insurance reimbursement and potential for bonus compensation. Women, minorities and others from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Please fill out the application form above, AND send your resume, cover letter, 3 references, and salary requirements to jobs (at) ncbeer.org by August 17, 2018.
Download a printable PDF version of this Job Description.