This past weekend, many of our NC brewers waited with bated breath as judges released the names of the 2016 Great American Beer Festival medalists. The Great American Beer Festival (GABF) is the largest commercial beer competition and occurs annually in Denver, Colorado. Presented by the Brewers Association, GABF celebrated its thirtieth year this year.
Some statistics from this year:
96 Categories Judged
7,227 Competition Entries (Up almost 9% from last year)
On the whole, North Carolina beers brought home 17 GABF medals plus the award for 2016 Very Small Brewing Company and Very Small Brewing Company Brewer of the Year which went to Brown Truck Brewery in High Point, NC. This was NC’s biggest GABF haul yet – over two times the medals from last year and eight are GOLD medals! Well done, NC brewers.
Below are the results for our NC brewers:
- NoDajito, NoDa Brewing Co., Charlotte, NC (Herb and Spice Beer)
- Dry-Hopped Systema Naturae – Scuppernong & Lily, D9 Brewing Co., Cornelius, NC (Experimental Beer)
- #10 American Lager, Brown Truck Brewery, High Point, NC (American-Style Light Lager or German-Style Light Lager)
- Zirkusfest Oktoberfest Lager, Hi-Wire Brewing Co., Asheville, NC (German-Style Marzen)
- Drop Bear Australian Pale Ale, Lynnwood Brewing Concern, Raleigh, NC (Australian-Style or International-Style Pale Ale)
- White Street Scottish Ale, White Street Brewing Co., Wake Forest, NC (Scottish-Style Ale)
- Once You Go, Lynnwood Brewing Concern, Raleigh, NC (American-Style Black Ale)
- Irish Walker, Olde Hickory Brewery, Hickory, NC (Old Ale or Strong Ale)
- Medley of Moods, Gibb’s Hundred Brewing Co., Greensboro, NC (American-Style Wheat Beer with Yeast)
- #4.5 Hops with Saison Added, Brown Truck Brewery, High Point, NC (American-Belgo-Style Ale)
- The Event Horizon, Olde Hickory Brewery, Hickory, NC (Wood- and Barrel-Aged Strong Stout)
- Lunatic, Wicked Weed Brewing, Asheville, NC (Belgian-Style Blonde Ale or Pale Ale)
- Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout, Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery, Farmville, NC (Sweet Stout or Cream Stout)
- #4 Saison, Brown Truck Brewery, High Point, NC (Specialty Saison)
- White Wall Wit, Crank Arm Brewing Co., Raleigh, NC (American-Belgo-Style Ale)
- Torch Pilsner, Foothills Brewing Co., Winston-Salem, NC (Bohemian-Style Pilsener)
- Shotgun Betty, Lonerider Brewing Co., Raleigh, NC (German-Style Hefeweizen)
For a full list of GABF winners, click here.
What a great time to live in the State of Southern Beer!