This past Saturday, eyes were watching Denver, CO, for the 2017 GABF Awards Ceremony. GABF, or the Great American Beer Festival, is an annual event held in Denver that consists of a large-scale beer festival and industry competition. It is coordinated by the Brewers Association, the industry’s representative for small and independent craft brewers.
This year there were almost 8,000 entries from 2,217 different breweries submitted to the competition. The beers were judged by 276 judges from 13 different countries. Over 180 volunteers helped make it happen. Quite the operation!
North Carolina brought home 15 medals this year. Check out the winners below.
- Appalachian Mountain Brewery: Blonde Ale for Boone Creek Blonde (Boone, NC)
- Wedge Brewing Co.: German-Style Marzen for Asheville Lager (Asheville, NC)
- Lynnwood Brewing Concern: American-Belgo Style Ale for Saison Du Bois (Raleigh, NC)
- New Sarum Brewing: Herb & spice for Lemon Balm and Beets Wheat (Salisbury, NC)
- The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery: Scotch Ale for Duck-Rabbit Wee Heavy Scotch Ale (Farmville, NC)
- Lynnwood Brewing Concern: American-Style Pale Ale for Mosaic Pale Ale (Raleigh, NC)
- Bond Brothers Beer Company: American-Style Sour Ale for Disenchantment Blend #1 (Cary, NC)
- BearWaters Brewing Company: Belgian Style Strong Specialty for Smells Like Money (Canton, NC)
- Hillman Beer: Belgian-Style Dubbel or Quadrupel for Four Fat Baby (Asheville, NC)
- The Olde Mecklenberg Brewery: South German-Style Hefeweizen for Hornet’s Nest (Charlotte, NC)
- Lonerider Brewing Company: German-Style Doppelbock/Eisbock for Goldie’s Big Bock (Raleigh, NC)
- Foothills Brewing: Bohemian-Style Pilsner for Torch Pilsner (Winston-Salem, NC)
- Sycamore Brewing: Light Lager for Sun Grown Lager (Charlotte, NC)
- Sycamore Brewing: American-Style Lager for Sun Grown Lager (Charlotte, NC)
- Currahee Brewing Company: Coffee Stout or Porter for Kawi (Franklin, NC)
Support the local winners in your community and check out our Instagram for some brewer reactions on the awards floor.
You can also catch these two winners, AMB Boone Creek Blonde and Foothills Torch Pils, at the Our State Public House at the NC State Fair.